Guster headlines 'The Show'

The annual concert, "The Show," takes place tonight. However, while interest in the concert has grown this year because of the bands playing, its funding has been significantly lowered.

Tai Romero, the chairperson of the 10-person committee organizing "The Show," said the decrease in funding from the Office of Student Affairs was due to budget cuts across the board and had nothing to do with their opinions of the event. However, Romero added that "The Show" was not suffering because of [the budget cuts].

"Funding comes from a variety of places ... One of our major sponsors this year has been the Board of Governance at Saint Mary's and the Office of the President at Saint Mary's, as well as some smaller clubs and several dorms here on campus ... I think it's awesome that we've had all of them contributing," Romero said.

Romero wouldn't reveal how much money had been cut from The Show's budget. But ticket prices have been raised to $10 for students, an increase of $5 from last year. Romero said the better band talent and the larger venue of this year's show contributed to the increase in ticket prices. This year's show features Guster and Black Eyed Peas and will be held in the Joyce Center arena. Last year's concert took place in the Joyce Center fieldhouse.

Romero also addressed the issue of student response to higher prices. "Student feedback as to the $5 ticket prices last year was not negative, and feedback on the $10 prices this year was also good. Students don't seem to think that these prices are too much to pay for 'The Show'," she said. "We're in a bigger venue and we have bigger names, and we want to be able to continue 'The Show' in the future."

In fact, it does not seem that the higher ticket price has discouraged students from attending this year's concert. While unsure of the total number of tickets sold as of Thursday night, Romero said that approximately 1,000 tickets were sold during the first five hours of sales. She says the committee expects about 3,500 to 4,000 people to attend this year's show. Last year, attendance for "The Show" was 2,500.

Romero also said "The Show" is not set up as a direct opposition to Rally in the Alley, a party annually held in Turtle Creek the first weekend of school, but is instead a way to welcome students back to campus.

"The purpose for 'The Show' is to serve as the welcome concert of the new school year. For the freshmen, it is a continuation of all the activities they have had, but it also brings in the upperclassmen ... It really is the only weekend we can hold [the concert], because after this first weekend, we get into football season and there isn't time," Romero said.