Home Sweet Dome

Well, we're back. Our summers of "freedom" have come to an end and it is back to life in what we like to call "the bubble." Most people would probably agree with me that it is a relief to be back to school. No more summer jobs, internships, or parents.

Now don't get me wrong, summer is also a great time to relax, enjoy good food, and have fun with your friends, but it's nice to be back to the life of the weekly routine. It's back to the football craziness, the loathing of homework, the occasional beer or ten, and the excitement of being with our friends we now consider family. It's all starting once again.

I don't know about you, but for me, returning to school always gives me little jitters in my stomach. Of course mine usually come while I am doing my back to school shopping - and no I don't mean for news pens, but for new clothes and fun little things for my room.

To some the jitters might come when you see the Golden Dome from the highway or to others when they see the opposite sex with a new tan and tight shirt. We all have our new attitudes about school, we convince ourselves that this year will be different, more organized maybe (?), and that we will actually prepare throughout the semester as all of our teachers preach, and we will no longer (gasp) go out during the week once school gets going ... yeah right. These goals last about as long as the cleanliness of a pair of new running shoes, but hey, it's fun to dream, right?

The new school year brings new beginnings for all of us. What's great about summer is that it is long enough to forget past grudges and bad habits, but short enough to pick up where we left off. They say another year older, another year wiser - but, well, whatever way you look at it, it's just another year. We can take it for whatever we want. Some people will try to set new GPA's, some will try to set new drinking records, some will find butterflies in a new pair of shoes, some with a new schedule (whoever you people are - maybe your goal should be to try to rub off on the rest of us).

No matter how you approach the new year, it should be seen by all of us as an open opportunity to do whatever you want- a clean slate. This is college; these are supposed to be the best years of our lives, so let go of the inhibitions or whatever has held you back in the past, and make the silly, or ridiculous, or even (God forbid) driven goals that you want and run with it - I know I plan to. So "go confidently in the directions of your dreams."

I just hope it doesn't lead you to the nearest bar, or in my case, shopping mall.

Emily Howald, a junior marketing major and journalism minor, spends far too much time at the mall. When not shopping, she can usually be found watching mindless teen movies that offer escapes from reality or chasing around her roommate- that girl on a motorized cart with a broken leg. She can offer no advice on relationships, so just don't ask, but if you have any questions on clothes, email her at ehowald@nd.edu.