ND hikes ticket prices

Many students were surprised Tuesday by a $15 increase when they purchased football tickets for the upcoming season.

The price jump, combined with that of last year, means that Notre Dame students now pay about $30 more for home game tickets than they did two years ago.

Jim Fraleigh, assistant athletic director for community relations and ticket operations, said the increases are part of the department's effort to expand student athlete scholarships.

"Two years ago, the University approved funding all scholarships that are allowed by the NCAA," Fraleigh said. "As a result, in excess of 64 scholarships have been added, and a big portion of the ticket increase goes toward that."

The University now funds 26 teams at the varsity level in NCAA sports. Prior to the decision, many Olympic sports did not have the maximum number of scholarships funded.

Student reaction to the ticket price increase has been mixed. "I didn't notice [the increase], and I don't really think it's too much," sophomore Pete Murphy said.

"I think it's to help programs, and it's to be expected with inflation and everything," said senior Mike Diamond.

But not all students share this view.

"I don't see why they have to raise prices for everything, all the time," said senior Matt Bauers.

Fraleigh, however, said the athletic department does not receive any of the student activity fee paid by students, and it funds the maintenance of facilities such as Rockne Memorial, Rolf's Aquatic Center and Rolf's Recreation Center, as well as all the fields and courts on campus.

"The athletic department is entirely self-funded," he said. "We do not get any of that activity fee money from the University, which is what many schools that have lower ticket prices do."