-

-

Notre Dame Class of 2007 shows rise in ethnic diversity

Meghanne Downes | Thursday, August 21, 2003

When the 2,002 incoming freshmen arrive this weekend, they will constitute the most selective and racially diverse class in Notre Dame’s history.Dan Saracino, assistant provost for admissions, said the applicant pool for the class of 2007 contained over 12,000 applicants, with less than 30 percent accepted. The average SAT score for admitted students rose nine points from 2002 to 1360.The number of applicants overall increased by 24 percent from the class of 2006 and the number of minority applications increased by 40 percent.Saracino attributed the rise in minority applications to increased recruiting, summer programs and the hiring of Tyrone Willingham as the head coach of Notre Dame’s football team.”I think the ‘story of Notre Dame’ is reaching a much more diverse population than it had before,” said Saracino. “To hire a black football coach –that says something to the ethnically diverse population.”Ethnic minorities compose 21 percent of the incoming class with 4.5 percent, 8 percent, 7.5 percent and 1 percent being black, Hispanic, Asian and Native American respectively.Saracino said Notre Dame’s freshman classes are historically strong with academic ability and geographic diversity, whereas ethnic minority diversity was an area where Notre Dame has been weak. Minorities accounted for 17 percent of Notre Dame’s undergraduate students in the spring 2003 semester.”We are great in so many areas but ethnic minority isn’t where it should be,” Saracino said. “Being a residential campus, education is not just limited to the classroom.”

Other facts on the class of 2007:u The median SAT range was 1300 to 1460.u Twenty-two percent of enrolled freshmen are children of alumni.u Seventy-one percent of the class of 2007 participated in at least one varsity sport and eight percent of the class will play a varsity sport at Notre Dame.u Thirty-six countries are represented in the class of 2007, with international students making up four percent of the class.u Fifty-six percent of applicants ranked in the top five of their class.u Twelve freshmen earned perfect scores on either the SAT or ACT.u Twenty percent of incoming freshmen are children of educators.