Badin and PE meet in interhall action

The girls of Badin are looking for the 'W' over Pasquerilla East this Thursday as they enter into their third game of the football season.

Badin's chances of coming out on top are complicated by the experience and reputation of Pasquerilla East. Not only did they win the championship last year, but they also have the majority of their team returning to the field this season.

"[Pasquerilla East] is always a strong team," said quarterback Bridgett Meacham of the McGlinn Shamrocks. The Shamrocks upset Pasquerilla East last week, 21-20.

Badin is currently tied for third place in their division with PE. Badin captain Jennifer Carter is looking forward to the game; she is confident in her team's ability to dominate PE defensively.

Badin's defense held last week against two risky situations where their opponent Lyons started their drives inside of the red zone. Carter had three picks in that game.

"This year has been one of the best for us," Carter said, "We have three great coaches, a solid core of seniors and everyone else has added a lot to the team."

In the midst of Badin's 1-1 record, Kortny Hall, second year grad student and one of the coaches for the team, is encouraged by the solid defense that proved reliable in stopping Lyon's last week.

"Jen Carter has been a stand out on defense," Hall said, "She made a lot of plays against Lewis and a lot of picks in the second game [Lyons]"

Weakened only by at inconsistent offence, Hall believes that they're going to become more and more effective in the games to come.

"We really want to get sustained drives," said Badin quarterback Steph Heath.

Heath believes that Badin's offensive advantage over PE is their player depth.

"We have a few quarterbacks and we're both skilled differently in one way or another," she said.

Disappointed by their loss, but not deterred, PE captain Laura Wolohan is confident that her team can bring it together tomorrow.

"Our offense played so well [in last week's game]. I hope it was encouraging to our quarterback," she said.

The PE team has most of their returning seniors and juniors, and their offense is being lead by a freshman quarterback, who Wolohan said played very effectively against McGlinn last week.

Although confident in her team's ability to mix things up on offense, and their show of defensive strength in their first game, she isn't making any predictions.

"Most people you'd talk to would say that we'd win, but I'd rather show it then say it," said Wolohan.

A win will be important to help solidify their chances of making it to the playoffs. Unlike Carter who down played the importance of this game, Wolohan explained that they learned early on two years ago that early wins are just as important, since the season ends so early.

The game is being held at Riehle West field at 9 p.m.

Howard vs. McGlinn

Both teams have met adversity this season.

The Howard Ducks are yet to win a game with an 0-2 record, while the McGlinn Shamrocks (2-1) suffered their first loss this season to the Lewis Chicks. Tonight's match will ultimately determine the staying power of the two teams as the playoffs approach. Players from both teams anticipate an intense game.

"I'm sure they put up a fight," said McGlinn running back Raquel Ferrer. "It's just about us starting out strong. We tend to come out scared and a little hesitant at the beginning."

Ferrer cites a lack of intensity as one of the key obstacles the Shamrocks encountered in the game against Lewis Sunday. The game ended early under the mercy rule in a 19-0 win for the Chickens. However, Wednesday's practice in the rain should be the source of the Shamrocks' energy tomorrow, she said.

The Ducks are also rebounding from a 6-0 loss to Pasquerilla East and looking to score their first touchdown this season. Howard co-captain Brin Anderson attributes this close game to a slight change in defensive strategy.

"And once we put some points on the board, I feel that will give our team the motivation to come out on top," said Anderson.

The Shamrock defense should expect to meet opposition from Ducks freshman safety Megan Marshall, who had multiple interceptions against the Pasquerilla East Pyros on Sunday.

Offensively, Callie Whalen, Renee Alessi and quarterback Sheena Ketchum should make significant contributions. Ferrer is confident the Shamrocks will weather the Ducks' ploys.

"Our offense just needs to calm down and run the plays," she said. "It's all about getting it done. We have a lot of talent, we just need to do what we're told and be strong.

"The defense has been good at putting the pressure on the other team's offense. It should be an interesting game."

Both teams are looking to gain momentum for the rest of the season and to test their teams' abilities. McGlinn and Howard will square off Thursday at Riehle West field at 7p.m.

Lewis vs. Lyons

This week's rain has not diminished the Lewis Chicks' anticipation for their game against rival Lyons on Thursday evening.

The Chicks enter the game at an undefeated 3-0, hoping to extend their winning streak to four games. Lyons, looking to post its first victory of the season, is prepared for the challenge.

"It's been really tough for us because we started practicing really late in the season," said Lyons captain Lauren White. "With the weather lately, it's been really hard to get any practice in."

The Chicks are fresh off a decisive Sunday victory against McGlinn. Despite the quick turnaround, sophomore defender Julia Burke said that "we use games as a learning experience."

Lewis junior player Sheila Dawes concurred. "We make mistakes, but learn from them," she said.

Not many mistakes. Badin posted six points against Lewis early in the season - the only six points scored on a solid defense.

This defense looks to challenge a Lyons quarterback back from studying abroad, as well as Megan Regan, a transfer from Dayton who White said is one of the team's best receivers.

"We want to limit first downs and yards allowed," Dawes said.

Lewis also boasts an explosive offense. Mimi Lundgren, Lynne McChrystal and Katy Clune are prime targets for standout quarterback Erin Nasrallah.

Lyons' two losses are to Badin and McGlinn in close games. Although the Chicks have beaten both opponents, they take nothing for granted.

"As the season progresses, our team has improved," said Dawes. "We need to assume every other team improves also, or we're going to get beaten."

Last year, Lyons and Lewis faced off in a close contest in the regular season's last game. Lyons got the playoff spot - Lewis was forced to wait for the next season.

As Badin, McGlinn, and Howard will attest, next season is here - and so is Lewis.

The game will be played this evening at 8 pm at Riehle West field.