Belles go on the road looking to go 3-0

The undefeated Saint Mary's soccer team will travel across Indiana today to face Taylor University of Grant County as the Belles continue their tough early road schedule.

Last weekend at Marietta College (Ohio), Saint Mary's got off to a solid start, defeating State University of New York-Brockport (SUNY) 3-1. SUNY has been successful the past three seasons, recording double-digit wins in each of those years. The Belles built off that momentum to defeat host Marietta 2-1 in double overtime

Today's opponent, Taylor (1-0-1), won a Massachusetts tournament over the weekend and scored five goals in one game. Taylor joins the MIAA next year.

"We'll approach this as a conference game to set the tone [for the conference schedule]," coach Peter Haring said.

Saint Mary's should be at full strength. The Belles are injury-free and will be bringing a few extra reserves on the short road trip. At this early point in the season, the team's rotation remains a work in progress.

"We're trying to get pieces to fit," Haring said. "I got a good indication of who to rely on [over the weekend]... After two games I'm beginning to see who is comfortable playing with one another."

Saint Mary's will continue to rely on Jen Concannon for scoring. The junior already has three goals in only two games. Freshmen Ashley Hinton and Carolyn Logan each have goals, and Logan also had two assists.

The freshmen's early contributions came as no surprise to Haring

"A lot of recruiting last year was emphasized on players for the attack," Haring said.

The Belles hope to do what no Saint Mary's team has done before - open the season 3-0.

Saint Mary's plays at Taylor today at 4 p.m.