Belles seek second conference win

Saint Mary's will face conference opponent Hope today as the Belles look for their second conference win of the season. The team is currently 1-4 in the conference and 8-5 overall.

The Belles fell in four games to defending MIAA champion Alma Sunday afternoon, and are looking to fix the problems that plagued the team in Sunday's game.

"I think communication was our biggest problem," coach Julie Schroeder-Biek said. "We have the talent and skill, but we need better communication."

The outlook doesn't look good at first glance, because Hope (7-5, 4-1 MIAA) swept Alma in three games earlier this year, but Saint Mary's believes it has a plan to take care of its opponent today.

"Their setter is very experienced," Schroeder-Biek said. "We're going to have to be ready for her to send that second ball over in an offensive attack.

"She's a real offensive weapon for them, and they always have a very good team and they're really experienced this year."

Talented setter McKenna Troyan is one of three seniors on the Hope roster. Outside hitter Katie Hall and return specialist Anna Eriks are the other two.

By contrast, defensive specialist Alison Shevik is the only senior on the Belles' roster.

Hall is the leading hitter for the Flying Dutch, and was named the MIAA player of the week two weeks ago.

Hope features the top two individual hitting percentages in the MIAA in Troyan (.478) and Lindsey Buche (.449). As a team, the Flying Dutch hit .289, tied for second overall in the conference.

The Belles really want this conference win because it will be the second of three straight conference matches at home.

Their coach explained this is an important part of the schedule.

"We've really wanted to rack up some conference wins here," Schroeder-Biek said. "It's always nice to be home. We have a great crowd of both parents and students who really support us."

Saint Mary's faces Hope at home today at 6 p.m.