-

-

Conway to visit Saint Mary’s

Justin Tardiff | Friday, September 12, 2003

Author and historian Jill Ker Conway will visit the Saint Mary’s campus later this month as a part of the Michiana Museum Consortium’s “Examining Identity” series of cultural events.

The lecture that Conway is slated to present, entitled “Seeking Identity in the Western Culture,” is based on her work of exploring identity through history and reflective writing.

The event, a collaborative effort of the Consortium and Saint Mary’s Center for Women’s InterCultural Leadership, its Center for Academic innovation and the College’s Humanistic Studies Program, will be preceded by a number of preparatory exercises led by members of the Saint Mary’s faculty.

Humanistic Studies professor John Shinners will give a presentation Friday on Conway’s study of the connection between education and identity. He said his discussion will address the manner in which education shapes assumptions of the world and how the oppression of women can be countered.

“[Conway] is a remarkable example on one concerned with identity through the course of her life.” he said.

Conway was born in New South Wales, Australia. She graduated from the University of Sydney in 1958 and received her Ph.D. from Harvard a year later. She specializes in contextualizing women’s experiences in America in relation to Canada and Australia, and has written several books emphasizing identity such as “The Road from Coorain.”

Conway’s presentation will be held Sept. 25 at 7:30 p.m. in O’Laughlin Auditorium. The event is free and open to the public.