County rezones parcel

The St. Joseph County Council unanimously approved the rezoning of a land parcel near Notre Dame which will become a new upscale residential development near Notre Dame.

Dan Foley and Nicholas Tyszka, who formed the development company DNPEG, decided to build "Irish Crossings" as a residential location for professors and administrators that is close to Notre Dame, citing a need for an upscale community within walking distance of the campus and a retail area.

The site is located on 8.25 acres between Willis and Burdette Streets one block east of Notre Dame. Final plans for the development are awaiting approval and Foley expects the first villas to be completed in spring 2004.

"We knew people who wanted an upscale living area that was an alternative to Granger," Foley said. "Right now the area is a hodge-podge of different homes. Some are rented, some are owned and some are run-down. People are very hesitant to invest there, but by making this into a community, people can be assured they have made a sound investment."

The development, which will begin construction this fall, will have a maximum of 70 single-detached and duplex villas. The entry price for a 1,600 square-foot duplex villa with a basement and attached garage will be $189,000, Foley said in a press release.

Foley said "Irish Crossings," which complements Notre Dame's master plan to rejuvenate the area adjacent to the University, could have a ripple effect on the area by improving the surrounding residential community and increasing the property values over the next five to 10years.

Foley and Tyszka decided to develop this land in May after learning the county council, in a 8-1 decision, voted against the development of a tailgate park on the same site.