-

-

Engineers sponsor Industry Day

Dustin VonHandorf | Tuesday, September 16, 2003

The College of Engineering will sponsor its annual Engineering Industry Day today in the Joyce Center.

The event, which is primarily directed toward seniors who are seeking full-time employment, will feature employers interested in hiring Notre Dame students upon graduation.

“Over 60 companies will be here,” said John Uhran, senior associate dean of the College of Engineering. “These companies keep coming back [to the Industry Day].”

Uhran said that corporations such as Boeing, DuPont, General Electric, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, IBM and Lockheed Martin are expected to attend.

The fair has been steadily growing over the past five or six years, Uhran said, outgrowing its former home in Fitzpatrick Hall. Several hundred students are expected to attend this year, from all levels and majors within the College.

Because the fair has been steadily growing, it was moved to its present Joyce Center location, where students and employers will have the opportunity to discuss potential job openings within the field of engineering.

Students also have the option of submitting their resumes to participating employers via GoIRISH, an online resume bank maintained by the Career Center.

Many companies involved with today’s event will return later in the semester and again during the spring semester for Career Center-sponsored internship and job fairs.

Engineering Industry Day officially opened Monday night with a banquet and reception for students and business representatives. It will conclude Wednesday with an opportunity for potential employers to conduct interviews with students they met at today’s fair.

Run primarily by students in the College of Engineering, the Engineering Industry Day is also sponsored by the Society of Women Engineers and the Joint Engineering Council.