Fair attracts businesses to campus

Jennifer Rowling | Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Notre Dame’s annual career fair will be held today in the North Dome of the Joyce Center from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., showcasing a variety of businesses to seniors and interested students.

The College of Business has been sponsoring this event for 11 years, and the Career Center became involved three years ago. This year’s fair marks the first to be supported by the College of Business, the Career Center, the MBA program and business clubs, as well.

The fair, featuring 101 participant companies, is the second-largest Business Career Fair Notre Dame has hosted since 2000 and is the leading career fair in the Midwest.

“We are pleased with this number,” said Lee Svete, director of the Career Center. “We have many new companies that continue to seek out Notre Dame students in a down market, and this is a testament to the quality of our student body”.

Several well-known companies attending the fair include Morgan Stanley, IBM, Motorola, Bank One, Bain & Company and BP.

Svete encourages all students to attend the career fair, regardless of major or graduation year.

“I know of at least 25 companies looking for all different majors,” he said.

Specific companies mentioned that they are seeking students with a major or minor in computer applications, economics, government, foreign language and law, Svete said. Internship applications will also be available at the fair, especially for students interested in accounting and banking fields.

For graduating and job-seeking students, the majority of participating companies have positions and applications available. However, a few companies are skeptical as to whether or not they are hiring until spring 2004.

A new procedure is also being put into effect in which 23 companies, including Key Bank and IBM, will conduct student interviews Thursday. Those interested should drop off resumes at the career fair to be contacted for an interview, Svete said. Many of the companies will continue to recruit Notre Dame students when they return in October.

Svete suggests that students come prepared with their resumes and questions for employers. To improve their opportunities for success prior to attending the career fair, students can research the participating companies and available positions on the Career Center Website at http://careercenter.nd.edu. After clicking on Go Irish link, students type the keyword “BCF” to access descriptions about the participating companies.