-

-

Irish host weekend meet

Joe Hettler | Friday, September 26, 2003

The Notre Dame women’s golf team will stay home this weekend to host the Notre Dame Invitational Saturday and Sunday.The Irish have played well in their previous two meets, tying for first at the Cougar Fall Classic and breaking a school-record in the process, and tying for fifth at the Mary Fossum Invitiational.”[The Notre Dame Invitational] is our third event, and it’s a medium-strength field,” coach Debby King said. “Our goals are to shoot 300 every day, and of course, win the championship.” Freshman Noriko Nakazaki, along with teammates senior co-captain Shannon Byrne and sophomore Katie Brophy, each broke the individual school record of 224 by firing scores of 217, 223 and 223, respectively.Freshman Stacy Brown also shot well at the Cougar Classic by finishing 25th. King said she has been very pleased with the freshman’s play.”Both freshmen have really jump-started right away and have qualified for us in both events,” King said.Despite the lesser competition, King said her team qualified players the same as any other week, with the best scores competing for the tournament crown. The Notre Dame Invitational allows each team to have six players compete for the team trophy, and the top scores count. However, the rest of the team will be able to play as individuals.The Irish also had some exciting news this week as they were ranked fourth in the first GolfWeek poll of the season. King said that the team is happy with the ranking, but realizes that the main ranking poll from Golfstats doesn’t come out for another few weeks.Nakazaki leads the team in scoring average, firing only 73.67 shots per round. Her best finish was second at the Cougar Classic and her best 54-hole score was a 217, one-over par at that tournament. Brophy is second with a 75.67 average, while Byrne is at 78.50 strokes.