The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.



Only 9 Guardsmen march at Saturday’s game

Beth Erickson | Monday, September 22, 2003

Some members of the Irish Guard were attacked late last week in front of Vesuvio’s Pizza in downtown South Bend, said Guard captain Brian Chap, and one was injured so severely that he could not march with the band Saturday.

At least four guardsmen were involved in the incident, including John Raih and Drew DeWalt, and at least three were injured as a result of the confrontation. The names of the other Irish Guard members were not known.

South Bend police could not be reached for comment. It was not immediately clear if a police report was filed.

Raih, an off-campus senior, did not participate as a member of the Guard during Saturday’s football game against Michigan State, leaving only nine guardsmen. Friends of Raih said he sustained multiple bruises and injuries to his face and body.

Attempts to reach Raih and DeWalt were unsuccessful.

This isn’t the first time the Irish Guard has run into trouble in recent years. Last year, they were suspended after television cameras caught them sleeping during the Notre Dame-Stanford game. The images were subsequently displayed on SportsCenter.

Anneliese Woolford contributed to this report.