Optimism runs high for PE and Howard

When a team has the enthusiasm and optimistic outlook shared by Pasquerillla East and Howard, it is bound to be an exciting game.

"We'd love to go back to the stadium, but most of all Pasquerilla East football has always been about having fun first, even when were winning and working hard," said Pasquerilla East player Laura Wolohan.

While the Pyros charge into interhall bearing last year's trophy and a 5-1 record, Howard's record last season was 1-5.

The Ducks enjoyed last season, disappointing stats or not, but look to have a more competitive presence this year.

"We've got new coaches, a new attitude and a great group of girls willing to have fun and work hard," said Howard captain Shannon Trevino.

Returning upperclassmen include quarterback and co-captain Sheena Ketchum and Courtney Schuster, though star safety Maureen Tate is out this season with an injury.

Seeking to develop a base for Howard football in the years ahead, practices have focused on the details of working as a team to complete smooth plays. By better learning the skills needed for a particular position, they hope to increase playing field confidence as well.

Pasquerilla East must prove itself anew, as it is another team carrying a high number of first year players and looking to replace important players lost since last year. The team is working to expand the consistency of both parts of their game.

"We've always been ... a defensive-minded team. But we've really been focusing on rebuilding our offense," Wolohan said.

The freshman class is still learning but is highly athletic and has the makings for a solid team. Already starting at quarterback for the Pyros is freshman Laura Adams. Backing her up is the experience of a number of veterans. Standing out are receivers Kathryn Lent and Leslie Follmer and defensive backs Rachel Brown and Stephanie Yahn.

The teams play Sunday at 4:00 p.m. on West Quad.