Pangborn falls short against Cavanaugh

For a while, it looked like the underdog Phoxes would pull off an upset. Then the Chaos offense got going.

Cavanaugh defeated Pangborn 27-14 Tuesday, but the game was much closer than its final score. Pangborn led at one poin, and was in the game until the Chaos scored two late touchdowns to put their opponent away.

"I'd say this is definitely a moral victory," Pangborn captain Katie Murray said. "The first half we were right with them, and we know they're one of the best teams in the league."

It was the Phoxes who got on the board first, with quarterback Christina Dunn completing a 26-yard touchdown pass to Trish Conneely. The extra point was good.

The Chaos came right back on their next drive, using a balanced attack before finally scoring on a 14-yard quarterback bootleg run by Lisa Ruffer. Cavanaugh elected to go for two and failed, making the score 7-6 in favor of Pangborn.

"I think Pangborn scoring first really built up the intensity and kept us on our toes," Cavanaugh captain Megan Land said.

Neither team scored for the rest of the first half. Cavanaugh opened the second half with a three-play drive for a touchdown. A key run in that drive was a halfback option pitch that netted 54 yards. Ruffer completed a short pass to give the Chaos the lead again.

The Chaos went for a 2-point conversion and were successful, making the score 14-7. The Chaos stopped the Phoxes on a four-and-out to get the ball back and went right down the field to score again.

Ruffer found Jenny Nokes open in the endzone for an eight yard touchdown pass. The extra point conversion was successful.

Down 21-7, Pangborn mounted an impressive comeback drive to cut the lead to one touchdown. Dunn found wide receiver Katie Mooney for an 6-yard touchdown pass, and the extra point conversion was good.

Pangborn could never get the ball back, though, as the Chaos executed an eight play drive that ended in a touchdown at the very end of the game. Ruffer pitched to Land for a 9-yard touchdown run at the buzzer.

The Chaos didn't get a chance to go for a conversion, because there was no time left on the clock.

Breen-Phillips 6, Pasquerilla West 6

The Babes and Purple Weasels played to a tie in interhall action Tuesday, in a game that could be best described as sloppy.

The teams combined to throw four interceptions and there were numerous penalties that stalled drives. Neither team was able to convert on their point-after conversion, either.

It was a strange game for Breen-Phillips, which had been the most prolific team in womens interhall, scoring 59 points in their first two games.

It started out like usual, as the Babes scored rather quickly into the first half on a 35-yard quarterback keeper by Traci Kaznerski to score a touchdown.

The potent Breen-Phillips offense then stalled, as their next three offensive series ended in an interception, a turnover on downs and a punt.

The Purple Weasels, despite three interceptions thrown by quarterback Leslie Schmidt, were able to get the tying touchdown with less than two minutes in the game.

Schmidt found Maureen Reynolds for a 5-yard touchdown pass.

The extra-point conversion failed.

Welsh Family 21, Farley 6

While the rain cleared for the Tuesday night game between Farley and Welsh Family, raindrops were replaced by passing bombs as both teams looked to connect deep. In the end, the Welsh Whirlwinds prevailed 21-6 thanks in large part to the success of their air attack.

Welsh wasted no time getting its passing offense in gear by getting a quick 10-yard touchdown pass to finish a strong opening drive. On Farley's first two drives down the field, the Finest lived and died by the pass with long catches by receivers but also two costly interceptions.

Welsh continued its whirlwind attack on the next drive, this time with a long 35-yard pass from quarterback Melissa Sands to wide receiver Lauren Perease. For Perease, the catch was her second touchdown of the game.

"Melissa threw me perfect passes and I just wanted to make sure I could catch them and get into the end zone," Perease said.

She had nearly 75 receiving yards on the night.

Farley threatened at the end of the first half after a nice drive lead by quarterback Katie Popick. However, on four consecutive passing plays the Whirlwinds defensive backs managed to keep the ball out of the end zone.

Welsh opened up the second half with another scoring drive that included two passes for 25 yards. Even down 21-0, Farley remained very resilient and stayed optimistic. They mounted another drive in the half and their passing game looked sharp. Once they neared the red zone, Welsh's defense tightened up again to prevent a touchdown.

The game was interrupted temporarily as the lights shut off and took 20 minutes to turn back on. When the game resumed Farley went to the ground and marched down the field to score their first touchdown of the game. For the Finest, the rushing attack proved to be the easiest way to get into the end zone this game.

In the end, there simply wasn't enough time left for Farley to come back but coach Ben O'Connor was impressed with their effort.

"We were able to keep up our spirits and stay focused even after getting behind early," he said.

The final passing statistics on the day for Welsh Family were impressive with Sands completing 12-of-17 passes with three touchdowns. Farley went 9-for-21 on the day with two interceptions and one touchdown.