Saint Mary's College reconstructs CWIL

The Saint Mary's College Center for Women's Intercultural Leadership announced that it has reconstructed their program in hopes of moving toward a more unified model of women's leadership.

Two of the major changes that took place were the reorganization of responsibilities among four different officers and the establishment of a coordinator to deal with the numerous programs and activities that the group takes part in.

The center, established in 2001 as a result of a five-year, $12 million grant from the Lilly Foundation, made the changes to provide for a long-term model that will be more efficient and effective for the campus group.

"[The changes] provide for a more focused approach to the center's three main components: scholarship and research; leadership and change; and teaching and learning," said Patrick White, vice president and dean of faculty.

Former CWIL director Meredith Reid Sarkees now handles research, teaching and special projects. Elaine Meyer Lee holds the new office of coordinator, who also serves as director of international and intercultural learning.

Fellow directors Sister Marianne Farina, Bonnie Bazata and Tracy Robison handle scholarship, community connections and intercultural living programs, respectively.

By revamping the Center, the college hopes to take CWIL to the next level and intensify their influence around the college, as well as in the community, White said.