Saint Mary's kicks off year with career advice for seniors at the kick-off

Saint Mary's will present a "Senior Career Kick-Off" tonight to prepare members of this year's graduating senior class for their entrance into the sluggish economy and its layoffs, budget cutbacks and hiring freezes.

The program, organized by Saint Mary's College Counseling and Career Development Center, will bring together the entire senior class for a one-hour informative session on the resources the CCDC offers seniors in preparation for life after college.

"The program will provide a good foundation of the services the center provides," said associate director of career opportunities Jeffrey Roberts.

Dr. Mary DePauw, CCDC Director, will introduce the Center's team and their philosophy. Career counselor Angela Bryant will inform seniors about the Career Resource Center Library, including hours, available materials and loan policies.

"So many students don't realize the library is there and available to help in whatever capacity it can," said Bryant.

Bryant will also discuss the "Graduate and Professional School Information" program, aimed at alerting students to the timetable involved in postgraduate tests and graduate school applications.

Alumnae board representative Karen McDonald will follow Bryant with an explanation of "Grace Under Pressure." Scheduled for Sept. 18 at 5:30 p.m. in Stapleton Lounge, the program will feature a panel discussion of alumnae board members' careers and experiences after Saint Mary's. The panel will also review appropriate attire for interviews and business social events.

The program's main focus is an overview of Go BELLS, the online job and resume referral database. Students will learn how to upload their resumes and place them in a resume book, search for jobs, internships and employers, and sign up for interviews. Each student must complete a disclosure statement to activate her account.

The evening will conclude with a question and answer session, and informational material, including the September issue of the CCDC newsletter "Pathfinder," will be distributed.