SMC freshmen candidates begin campaigns

Six president/vice presidential tickets and nine board candidates for Saint Mary's freshman class council began their campaign last Thursday under the guidance of Elections Commissioner Nicole Haeberle.

Voting for the primary election will take place today until 11:59 p.m., and the run-off election will be held Thursday from 12:01 a.m. until 11:59 p.m.

Freshmen must log into PRISM on the Saint Mary's server and click "Take a Survey" to place their votes. Students will be able to vote for one presidential ticket and have the option of approving or disapproving the nine class board candidates.

Each candidate conducted a "meet and greet" session in Haggar Parlor Monday night, where students had a chance to meet their potential representatives and find out what they have to offer.

"It's not about us; it's about our peers," said presidential candidate Claudia Toth.

Although she shares the same last name with her vice presidential candidate Ashley Toth, the two are not related. Together, they hope to open a "Belle General Store" to provide Saint Mary's students the opportunity to purchase snacks and necessities.

The platform of candidates Rosemary Walsh and Brittany Hartford includes an increase in school spirit and the initiation of events such as a campus- and community-wide clothing drive.

Susan McIlduff and Ashley Oberst said they hope to initiate campus-community involvement as well by attending South Bend community meetings. They plan to offer a beacon of hope for those disturbed by early morning construction of the new student center.

"We will go directly to H.G. Construction and ask them to not begin work at 6:30 a.m.," McIlduff said.

Not only did presidential and vice-presidential hopefuls Amanda Shropshire and Irene Bayudan say they want to improve the quality of residential life, they said they aim to increase cultural diversity on campus through their ties to many campus diversity clubs.

If elected, Laela Tahmassebi and Caitlin Kelly said they hope to initiate more themed dances and create new Saint Mary's apparel.

"We are very excited to represent our class, and hope to continue to meet new people," Kelly said.

Anyone who has seen Monica Lindblom and Kristen Bogdanowicz around campus decked out in raincoats and hats understands their slogan, "Always here for you, rain or shine."

Only one ticket will be named the new class president and vice president Friday, but all candidates said they are ambitious to represent Saint Mary's class of 2007.

Since only nine candidates are running for the thirteen spots on the freshman class board, all are assured a position. Those running include Bridget Gorman, Kristi Sobhani, Kathleen Kindt, Katie White, Ashley Sanders, Chelsea Foote, Megan Sosnowski, Lauren Knisley and Katie Whalen.

"Together we hope to create a sense of unity between the class of 2007, the upperclassmen and Notre Dame," Whalen said.