Students cited at Michigan game

At least eight students or individuals associated with Notre Dame were cited Saturday by the University of Michigan's Department of Public Safety.

Public Safety Lt. Crystal James said most of the citations were issued for public urination or were alcohol-related. She did not comment specifically on the offenses or their possible consequences.

James said the Department of Public Safety processes and investigates all citations it issues. The department does not forward the citations to other law enforcement agencies or universities if students are involved, she said. For serious offenses, the prosecutor's office is notified.

James said cited individuals do have to appear in the 15th District Court.

"[The citations] would be handled in court," James said. "It might just be a fine. It depends if [the individuals] want to fight it."

In total, the Public Safety police officers issued 47 citations Saturday and ejected four individuals from the stadium.

James said to her knowledge there were no major incidents that occurred during, before or after the game. She was unaware of whether the four ejected individuals were Notre Dame or Michigan fans and did not know what prompted their ejections.

"Forty-seven citations are probably high, but we do cite multiple people each game," James said.

The citations include offenses that occurred both inside the stadium and on campus property. The Ann Arbor Police Department also has jurisdiction over city property where football-related activities such as tailgating occurred. Attempts to reach Ann Arbor police for information regarding citations and arrests were unsuccessful. Sgt. Andrew Zazula said police were called to many incidents involving Michigan and Notre Dame fans Friday and Saturday.