Students give Legends positive review

Students of all ages filled Legends to capacity Saturday, at times forming a line outside the door that stretched nearly to the end of the parking lot."I think it's really awesome," said Cavanaugh junior Julie Rombaut as she sampled menu items in the club area. "They did a really good job with it."

The doors opened at 2 p.m. to a line of waiting students, and students continued to come throughout the afternoon and evening, surpassing 2,000 patrons by 9:30 p.m., said general manager Belinda Deeds.

Students were asked to show their school IDs at the door, and those over the age of 21 needed proof of age to obtain a bracelet allowing entry into the Ale House Pub and the other bar area, adjacent to the dance floor.

"We've been giving out a lot of wristbands," said Welsh Family sophomore and Legends staff worker Claudia Gonzalez.

She said she applied for the job because she believed it would become a popular on-campus destination.

"I wanted to be a part of something that a lot of students are going to come and enjoy," she said. "It's a good establishment."

And Saturday's patrons expressed overwhelming approval of the spot. Legends provided free food samples, including items such as three-tiered burgers, buffalo wings, quesadillas and various desserts. Students were charged for alcoholic beverages.

"I definitely approve the 22 drafts," sad Drew Shula, an off-campus senior who called Legends "classier" than most of the other local bars and clubs.

"I think it's cool to be able to hang out with all the classes," Shula said.Many other students echoed the opinion.

"As a person who's 21 already, I think it's a good place to come with my friends who aren't yet," Cavanaugh senior Katie Welch said.

Refreshments were not the only attraction Saturday. A moonwalk, bungee run and other entertainment were set up in the parking lot in front of the building, and various raffles were held. Students registered for the raffles while waiting on line to enter, and the same registration cards were used to tabulate the attendance of each dorm. DORM won the attendance contest and will be given a free party at Legends, with $200 toward food. The Notre Dame Pom squad also performed.

During the evening, the Ryan Adcock Band and The Samples performed. DJ music began at midnight and continued until 4 a.m.

"I think it's great that they [The Samples] came here," said Welsh freshman Chau Nguyen. "I think I'll hang out here a lot because I'm really into music."

Beth Silker, a 2nd-year law student and Double Domer, said Legends "doesn't even" compare with the former Alumni-Senior Club.

"It's so much better," she said of Legends, sitting with a table of law students, three of whom were the first people in line to get in at 2 p.m.

"We felt that it was really important that the law school really make a strong showing at this afternoon's events," said Kyle Biebesheimer, one of the trio.

From law students to freshmen, the student body did make a strong showing and responded very positively.

"It just kind of captures the aura of Notre Dame - the whole 'Legends‚' thing," said O'Neill freshman Dan Allen.