Total effort leads Walsh to victory

The Wild Women of Walsh came out on top Sunday afternoon with an 18-7 win over the Pasquerilla West Purple Weasels. "It was a dual effort of the offense and defense that stopped Pasquerilla West," said Walsh team member Amanda Borys. "The defense had a lot of interceptions and this put the offense in a very good scoring position." Borys was a key contributor for the Wild Women beginning early in the first half. Borys began the game with two 20-yard runs and an interception that led to a touchdown to make the score 6-0. "[Borys] did a tremendous job on offense and defense," said defensive lineman Karla Bell.However, the Purple Weasels came back strong with a wide open touchdown to receiver Heather Van Hoegarden in the left corner of the end zone and completed the one-point conversion to make the score 7-6.Although the Purple Weasels led the game for most of the first half, it was not much time before the Wild Women took control. With the first half nearing an end, Walsh quarterback Carrie Campbell ran in for the 5-yard touchdown. "Campbell was great. She is able to read beyond the called plays and she has great intuition," said Borys. This was perhaps the turning point of the game as the Wild Women were able to prevent the Weasels from scoring for the rest of the game.The Purple Weasels were unable to stop an early touchdown drive by the Wild Women in the second half, making the score 18-7. They also could not take advantage of an interception with 9 minutes, 30 seconds left on the clock.Despite the loss, Van Hoegarden said she feels this is just the beginning of a great team. "We are improving, we're still young and have a lot of freshmen," Van Hoegarden said. Improving overall will come with time." The Wild Women, Bell said, "were satisfied with the win," and look toward their next game against Cavanaugh.