Blak Images to showcase talents

The Black Cultural Arts Council will host its annual event Blak Images Saturday, a talent show that includes poetry, singing and various other acts, club secretary Leah McGee said.

Eve Thomas, co-coordinator of the event, said it will include dance, rapping and performances by Troupe ND, the First Class Steppers and Station One, an off-campus band.

"It's a diverse crowd," Thomas said of the performers. "There are 16 acts. Twelve are African-American students and four are white students."

McGee said preparation work has been intense for members of the BCAC.

"We had auditions open to the entire campus," she said.

"After auditions, we've been having run-throughs and rehearsals," Thomas said. "We had three, with another [scheduled for] Saturday."

Residents of Siegfried volunteered to help with stage crew and lighting, Thomas said.. The coordinators - Thomas, Jourdan Sorrell, Nicole Rogers and Wini Samuels - will work behind the scenes, as well.

Though the University is sometimes criticized or stereotyped for a lack of diversity on campus, a major goal of the BCAC is to bring different racial groups together. The show aims to appeal to the entire campus, not just minority students, McGee said.

"We just want the student body to know that were trying to create a more diverse environment," Thomas said. "The show is open for everyone; it's not segregated just for black people. Its purpose is to create a diverse environment on campus."

Tickets will be sold in advance at the LaFortune Box Office and at the doors of Washington Hall for $5. The show begins at 8 p.m.