-

-

Board approves new construction

Meghanne Downes | Tuesday, October 28, 2003

After a one-year moratorium on construction, the Board of Trustees decided during their fall meeting to approve two new buildings -the Jordan Hall of Science and the Guglielmino Family Athletics Center – and resume construction on the security/police and post office building.

The science hall will be located on Juniper Road in front of the Rolfs Sports Recreation Center and the 201,783 square foot building will include 40 undergraduate science laboratories, three lecture halls, two classrooms and 22 faculty offices. The groundbreaking ceremony for the building will be Saturday morning and the project should be completed by summer 2006.

The 95,840-square-foot athletics center, which is slated to be completed by fall 2005, will be adjacent to the Loftus Center and will include football locker rooms, offices and other rooms and space for student-athlete training and conditioning programs and equipment. A groundbreaking date has not yet been set.

Construction will also resume on the security/police and post office building, now located on the former basketball courts near Stepan Center, and should be completed by summer 2005.

Prior to the Board’s decision, all construction projects had been halted on campus with the exception of Legends due to the sluggish economy and the significant decrease in the University’s endowment.

University President Father Edward Malloy said in a statement the University would remain “cautiously optimistic” and “exercise fiscal prudence”, though funding was available for the three projects.

James Lyphout, vice president for business operations, said the trustees made the decision to continue construction after reviewing the financial and funding situation of the University. The status of the endowment did not play a role in the trustee’s decision-making process.

“We were able to demonstrate that we were able to meet the financing guidelines they established,” Lyphout said.

The athletics center will be completely funded by a $21.25 million donation from the late Don Guglielmino and his wife. Guglielmino attended Notre Dame for the 1939-40 academic year and has made numerous gifts to the University.

The $70 million cost of the Jordan Hall of Science will be funded by both a gift from John Jordan, a 1969 Notre Dame graduate and trustee, and internal University funds.

Lyphout said the security/police and post office building did not meet the Board’s requirements. But the Board still approved the continuation of construction in order to clear the current security/police and post office sites for future construction projects.

Lyphout said definite dates have not been set for the construction of the proposed new hotel on the current security/police building site and the law school renovations on the land of the current post office. Lyphout said the University was still seeking funding for the Joyce Center renovations.