Board of Trustees convenes for fall meeting

Sheila Flynn | Thursday, October 16, 2003

The University’s Board of Trustees will convene on campus today, tomorrow and Saturday for its triannual meeting to discuss and vote on policy issues within the University.

The agenda for the closed meetings has not been publicized, but tradition and statements made by University officials have highlighted various issues that will doubtlessly be discussed.

Earlier in the year, Father David Tyson, provincial superior of the Indiana Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross, said the Board will most likely hear a report addressing the appointment of a new executive vice president. Father Timothy Scully submitted his resignation from the second-highest administrative post to the Board last May.

“The Chair of the Board created an Ad Hoc Committee on Organization that is preparing a report for the full Board on structural issues in the University administration,” Tyson said in a September e-mail interview. “It is my understanding that the position of executive vice president will be included in the report.”

It is unclear, however, whether a new vice president will be named within the next few days. As opposed to the office of University President, which can be held only by a Holy Cross priest of the Indiana Province, the executive vice president – which was the third-ranking position in the University when Scully held the post – can be a lay person.

The Board is also slated to hear proposals from Student Body President Pat Hallahan and to review a Faculty Senate resolution to review the Academic Articles.

Other issues the Board may discuss include the endowment and University budget; the Board called for budget cuts last March as a result of losses to the endowment and the economic downturn. Construction on campus is another concern that may be raised. During the 2002-03 academic year, construction on most planned projects was postponed because of funding shortages. A variety of other unspecified topics could possibly be discussed by members of the Board.

The Board, composed of approximately 60 members, holds at least three regular meetings each academic year, one in the spring and one in the fall on campus and another at an off-campus location at another time during the year.