Council forms RA committee

Thagard, Andrew | Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Members of the Campus Life Council passed a resolution calling for the formation of a task force to investigate policies and procedures associated with resident assistant training Monday.

The resolution passed 12 to three after a short debate that focused on the need for such an investigation. After the vote, members questioned the procedures surrounding the vote.

“This is not a threatening resolution,” said Jordan Bongiovanni, a member of the CLC. “[The Student Senate is] simply asking us, based on massive student opinion, to look into this. This is our purpose.”

CLC member and student senator Aaron Zielinski asked for a secret ballot vote – a request that Committee Chairman and student body vice president Jeremy Lao denied. The vote was taken using a roll-call system that some members objected to at its completion on the grounds that it was not protocol and that knowing the members’ positions on the issue could taint the makeup of the task force.

“It just doesn’t smell right,” said Father Paul Doyle, the rector of Dillon Hall.

The issue was brought before the CLC earlier this year after several RAs either were asked to resign or were terminated after missing required training sessions due to schedule conflicts.

In other CLC news:

– Members debated the effectiveness of a student government-sponsored presentation before the Board of Trustees on Oct. 16. Lao criticized a headline in The Observer that described the presentation as a failure and noted that the paper’s reporter left the meeting early.

“I would not say it was a failure,” said David Moss, assistant vice president of student affairs. “I’d like to commend the committee for weathering the storm. Everyone did a nice job.”

Some members, however, expressed concern that they were not informed of the topic of the presentation, especially in light of its focus on CLC. Lao apologized for the lack of communication.

– Members of the Senior Privilege Committee are investigating options for student parking privileges. The group plans to meet with Bill Kirk, associate vice president for residence life, later this week.