Faculty health insurance to change by January

Faculty Senate devoted much of its Tuesday meeting to the discussion of changes in faculty benefits which become effective January 2004.

The self-funded North American Health Plan will replace Partners Health Plan next year as the University Health Maintenance Organization.

A new crisis management program, Lifeworks, will be instituted as part of the University's Employee Assistance Program. Lifeworks will provide cost-free and confidential assessment and short-term problem resolution for faculty, administration, staff and their family members.

In September, the Faculty Senate passed a resolution to amend the Academic Articles. The University Academic Council recently met to discuss the resolution and, after making technical revisions, approved the bill. University President Father Edward Malloy passed the revised resolution, which will undergo final review by the Board of Trustees within this week.

The proposed amendment will create provisions for hearings regarding severe sanctions against faculty members. It will most likely become an article by next year, according to Faculty Senate chair professor John Robinson.

Faculty involvement in the NCAA Accreditation Report was also discussed. Faculty input is necessary, "especially for those [professors] who teach a large number of athletes," said Professor Paula Higgins.

Concerns were expressed regarding pressure placed on faculty by the Athletic Department and the potential effects this pressure might have on academic freedom.

In other Faculty Senate news:

u The writing of Memorial Resolutions honoring deceased faculty members was addressed and assignment of writers will be discussed at next month's meeting.

- The Student Affairs Committee announced that a University ad hoc committee will be formed to discuss changes in the format of Teacher-Course Evaluations. Faculty Honor Code officer professor Thomas Flint requested input from the committee for revisions in the Honor Code.

- The Academic Affairs Committee plans to invite Jennifer Younger, director of University Libraries, to speak to the Senate about the allocation of and future outlook for library resources.

- The Administrative Affairs Committee is currently revising an amendment to the Academic Articles.

- The Benefits Committee plans to meet with Human Resources on Monday to discuss insurance for retirees.