Saint Mary's opens new high-tech center

Some of the most advanced computer technology available has found a home in the Husking Instructional Technology Resource Center, located in the lower level of Saint Mary's Cushwa-Leighton Library.

The Husking Center is the new home for the Instructional Technology Center, which was previously located in the library media center. The center was made possible through a generous grant from the Husking Foundation Inc., in memory of Charles, Catherine and Francis Husking.

"The center has equipment that anyone would be envious of," said Dan Mandell, center coordinator.

The center's equipment is comprised of state of the art computers specially equipped for video editing and a unique "Smart Board" which gives teachers access to a projection and touch screen. It will also be home to a digital video productions class, which has not been offered in ten years.

The center's video editing equipment is a scaled-down version of the equipment used at WNDU. It will be beneficial to those interested in communication, mass marketing, and video editing.

Unlike its adjacent computer center, Trumper, the Husking Center is not intended for students to accomplish simple tasks such as checking e-mail or typing a report.

"The center is intended for students who need digital help for projects," said Mandell.

Students who wish to use the aid of the resource center should make an appointment to meet with a staff member. Students working on a serious video project also have the option of loaning digital cameras.

The center also has the resources to become a small broadcast studio. It houses a recording studio ideal for conducting interviews. The ITRC staff is currently looking into student interest in the creation of a Saint Mary's campus television network.

The ITRC employs a number of students to aid students and faculty with technological projects. There are currently about 10 students who can help students and faculty with the creation of websites and with Blackboard. These students are tech assistants whose computer expertise can aid people in a multitude of technological aspects.

The Husking Instructional Technology Resource Center is a place where students can access the support and equipment they need to successfully create a technological work of art.