Spade pleases student crowd

Laughter filled the Joyce Center Arena Saturday night as a Student Union Board sponsored event brought in over 1,300 Notre Dame, Saint Mary's and Holy Cross students. David Spade, professional actor and comedian, performed his stand-up routine, which he geared towards the students.Before Spade appeared on stage, the Notre Dame student band Station One opened to help pump up the crowd. Although a five-member band, only three members of Station One were allowed to play on stage. Senior vocalist Lawrence Santiago, senior drummer Peter Miller and sophomore bass guitarist Bobby Seus played two of their original songs. The other two members of the band are senior keyboardist Mike Maimone and senior lead guitarist David Miller.They have a reggae flare to their music, which sounds quite a bit like the popular rock band Sublime. "We play so many different kinds of styles. We play mostly Sublime type," David Miller said.Santiago humored the crowd further with his rendition of the theme song from the TV show, "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," starring Will Smith.After a large ovation while clearing the stage of everything but a black stool, a microphone and stand and a lone bottle of water, David Spade came out, dancing and joking as students cheered.His opening joke was about his contract what was allowed and not allowed to be on stage. He also joked about the stage being made from cafeteria tables taped together and the black drop curtain, which hung behind him, came from a mysterious dorm room. This part of his show evoked quite a bit of laughter seeing as though most college students understand how things are put together when dorms sponsor events.Spade then went on to comment about Notre Dame, both the campus and the quality of student who attends. "I'm here at a big, good school. I really don't do good schools much."He made fun of himself and his lack of college education, acquiring six credits at Arizona State University and 15 credits from a local community college near where he grew up in Arizona. Later in his act, he joked about how some of his jokes might not be as funny to a Notre Dame student as a student who isn't as "smart."He then launched into a bit about airplanes, where he touched on how he always flies coach, managing to be stuck by children who bother him and the quirky policies of the airlines."Once you get on the plane, they tell you the name of the pilot. But no one ever says, 'Oh, he's good.'"He told a story about his flight from Los Angeles to New York, where he had to be nice to a little kid since he said he didn't want to end up on the front page of the Enquirer for being rude to a kid by ignoring them. After that, he wanted to take a helicopter to Atlantic City, and he made fun of how the helicopter was simply just a flying pile of bolts.After talking about airplanes and flying, Spade discussed hotels. This, of course, led to one of his most popular movie quotes, the "Housekeeping" scene from his hit movie, "Tommy Boy." He did the whole quote live, as the crowd roared with excitement for hearing possibly one of Spade's funniest achievements done live.Spade explained where this came from. He said that he knocked on Chris Farley's door every morning while filming "Tommy Boy" and pretended to be a housekeeper. Each morning, Farley fell for it, not realizing that it was Spade - again. He also mentioned that a lot of the movie was from real life experiences between Farley and himself.Spade then went on to continue talking about hotels and what makes a hotel good or not. He said one of the requirements for a hotel is a good TV channel selection, complete with "Spank-tro-vision," a channel with filthy movie titles. He named a few titles, appalling and amusing the crowd at the same time.The TV bit led to talking about CNN and some of the top news stories of the day. Spade found out about Roy Horn, of Seigfried and Roy, and his attack by one of his tigers on Friday night.After that, Spade gave his opinion about Saddam Hussein and his new life of living with a "friend of a friend" in some dump somewhere in Syria or Libya. Spade thought that Hussein would be missing his solid gold lifestyle and would be "hating life.""I'm political. Look at me. I tackle the issues," Spade said about his political knowledge from the world.Following that, Spade talked about his recent trip to Las Vegas and all the funny happenings of being in that large and interesting town. He focused a lot on limousines and making fun of people who have never been in one. "You know it's their first time in a limo when they're in the sunroof," Spade said.Then he abruptly changed subject to telling a story of how he recently killed a bug that was bothering him while he was reading his "People Magazine." He told the story, step by step, of how he finally killed the bothersome creature with a full can of Raid. "I have attitude for bugs," Spade said.As with any good stand-up routine, Spade included many jokes about his mom, dad and step-dad. His father left when he was young and would only come to visit occasionally. Each year, however, it would be about the time of the Arizona State Fair.Spade made fun of himself and his choice of clothing as a kid. "I was Joe Dirt so bad. Dealing crystal meth at age 7."Following that, Spade continued with jokes about his mom and the bad choice of Christmas presents she always picked out for his brother and him. One year, she gave him a T-shirt with a picture of himself on it and he made the unfortunate decision of wearing it to school.His mom also frequently visited Sam's Club, a place to buy food and other items at wholesale prices. Spade's thoughts on Sam's Club are that "I don't trust that place. Too much variety. I like Toy R Us. It's only toys. Too sketch of a place. I don't want to have to use my legs to pick up the cheezits."Throughout the entire show, Spade kept increasing the number of people in attendance. He started out saying that there were about 5,000 people, which finally reached 7,000 after a few more times. He also made fun of "The Huddle," thinking that it was a popular place to hang out."Better go reserve a table at Huddles," Spade said. He allegedly heard about The Huddle from his limo driver.Spade's routine ran 75 minutes and pleased the crowd for the entirety. He used his sarcastic humor that made him famous along with some very well done sound effects for added flare. He picked on the crowd as they got up and down during the show.One of his best parts was when he talked about how bands never play their best songs during concerts, but if they do, they never play the song like it is on the CD. Spade, however, hit all of his best-known lines, making his routine even better.The ending though, seemed weak and abrupt. Spade was just telling jokes and making fun of things, and then he just said he was finished and walked off the stage.Charlie Ebersol, Board Director of SUB, said that Spade wanted to shave Ebersol's head despite the low attendance. "I think they would have liked it a lot better if you let me shave your head," Spade said to Ebersol.Ebersol said he felt that despite the attendance, the show went off without a hitch and that Spade was great, pleasing the crowd.