Students react to California recall election

Californians will head to the polls today to decide the fate of current Governor Gray Davis and possibly choose a new governor for their state. The historic recall procedure has drawn a wide variety of candidates into the political process, ranging from Larry Flint to Arriana Huffington.

Among students from California, opinions regarding the recall election varied widely. About 650 students, or approximately 7 percent of Notre Dame's student body, are from California.

Amy and Eileen Locke, from Mission Viejo, Calif., said they were against the recall and did not think the state's economic problems were entirely Davis' fault.

"I'm against the recall - there are a lot of other people who need to be held responsible too," Amy Locke said. "If we recall Governor Davis, we might as well recall President Bush, if that were possible."

"There are so many candidates it's a joke, but at the same time, it's a great example of democracy because of all the people running," Eileen Locke said. "I think [Davis] shouldn't be recalled, though."

While some students admitted Davis' governorship had problems, they did not see a reason or the recall to proceed.

"Davis may not be the best governor California has ever had, but I don't see any glaring issue or reasons why he should be recalled," said Casey Wong of Los Angeles, Calif.

Other students said they were concerned about the state's economic condition since Davis took office, and saw that as a reason to recall the governor.

"I think [Davis] should be thrown out of office. He ran up a really big deficit, he was irresponsible with the state's money, and he deserves to get voted out," said Michael Savino, from Escondido, Calif. Savino also said he thought that democracy was well served through the recall election.

"Why [wouldn't it be democratic]? It's a good thing that they're trying to kick Davis out of office, and that's what the people want," Savino said.

Despite Davis' lack of leadership, one student from California said he was concerned about the recall's implications for the American political process.

"It worries me that in such a short amount of time, our state can be thrown into such craziness," said Daniel Carey from Santa Rosa, Calif. "I feel bad for [Davis] - we just elected him - however I really do think he has betrayed the people of California with his irresponsibility."