Saturday, May 4, 2024

Support the Irish this weekend

Throughout this lovely week of midterms, I've heard many discussing their excitement over leaving early for Fall Break. I would like to remind these people, in case they have forgotten, that we are playing USC Saturday in Notre Dame Stadium. That's the big one here on campus, located right between DeBartolo Hall and the Joyce Center.

I want to remind those freshmen or even upperclassmen who might be unacquainted with the significance of this matchup that this is the greatest and most storied rivalry in college football, one whose lore began with Knute Rockne taking his 1926 squad out to California and whose storied 78-year history has seen countless legendary players and games, from Notre Dame's Frank Stams' nearly decapitating Rodney Peete to Carson Palmer's shredding the Notre Dame defense last year.

As if this were not enough, the Trojans are ranked fifth in the country right now, still holding on to national championship aspirations - aspirations that a hungry and revenge-minded Notre Dame team could squash with a monumental victory on Saturday.

Where do you fit into this picture? For God's sake, it's USC week. Midterms are over and you cannot possibly have any academic work to do. If you don't practice this ritual each football Saturday already, go wild and immerse yourself fully in the Notre Dame football experience. Tailgate as if there were no tomorrow, even if you are an underclassman. Wake up early on Saturday and fight against the Monk-onian forces of repression by experiencing the unparalleled joy of shotgunning a Keystone Light with 10 of your friends and a few enthusiastic alums in sight of the stadium on a crisp, beautiful fall day.

If you already booked a flight home on Friday, skip it and stay for the game anyway, realizing that you can always catch a ride home with a trucker. Riding 10 hours in an 18-wheeler is more enjoyable than you might expect, anyhow. Once inside the stadium, scream for the Irish until you can't speak. Oh yeah, and look for me outside. I'll be that guy wearing the Kelly green shirt, holding a beer and taking attendance.

Steve MattinglyjuniorO'Neill HallOct. 15