Womens Golf: Talent evident at Invitational

Strong finishes by several Notre Dame women golfers over fall break at the adidas/Notre Dame Fall Invitational gave evidence once again of the talent and potential this team has.

The team came close to meeting their expectations, placing fifth in a 14-team field with a final score of 908.

"We did well. We still have a little room for improvement," head coach Debby King said of the three-day tournament held in Tampa, Fla.

Freshman Noriko Nakazaki led the Irish with her 12th place finish, shooting a consistent 75-74-75 to end the tournament at eight-over par.

Nakazaki has had an impressive start to her collegiate career, finishing in the top 12 at all of the events thus far.

Sophomores Katie Brophy, Lauren Gebauer and Suzie Hayes and senior co-captain Shannon Byrne all placed in the top half and rounded out the score for the Irish.

Freshman Stacy Brown and junior Karen Lotta, both competing as individuals, had their best showings of the fall season, finishing 16th and 20th, respectively.

Baylor University won the tournament for a second year in a row with a team score of 888, edging out the University of Missouri by one stroke.

The Irish approach their final event of the semester this weekend with the Edwin Watt/Palmetto Dunes Intercollegiate in Charleston, S.C. King expects her team to be one of the top two finishers.

As the fall season winds to a close, King describes her team's season as "the best ever."

"We've moved up from being ranked 97th in the nation to 32nd in just two months. We're pretty excited," she said.