-

-

Womens Soccer: Irish win again, blank Butler

Andy Troeger | Wednesday, October 8, 2003

In the first half of its game against Butler, the women’s soccer team looked like a team that has now played five games in the past 10 days. But the second half was another story, as the Irish remained undefeated with a 3-0 win over Butler.

“It’s very tough,” said senior defender Melissa Tancredi of having played many games in a short period. “So far we’ve been really good getting through it.”

The Irish, still No. 2 and now 12-0-1, have now won six games in a row since their lone tie of the year against Stanford. Since allowing a late goal against North Texas, they have shut out the last four teams to visit Alumni Field.

Butler did not make it easy on the Irish at the beginning of the game, getting both of their shots in the opening minutes as the Irish got off to a sluggish start.

“We tried to do the same thing as Sunday by starting a different lineup to rest some players,” said Irish coach Randy Waldrum. “I think it was the right decision because we got some rest for those starting players. It’s not that they didn’t do a great job, but we just didn’t get off with the right mindset.”

The Irish had only attempted three shots in the first 32 minutes before midfielder Kim Carpenter continued her recent scoring surge after a failed clearance by the Bulldogs.

The Irish were dominant in the second half, outshooting Butler 18-0 while scoring twice more. Senior Amy Warner scored the first goal on a breakaway after taking the pass from freshman Jen Buczkowski.

“Warner is one of those players I want to get rest for,” said Waldrum. “But if our pressing isn’t working right, she and Mary Boland do such a great job at creating havoc for the opposition by the effort. Tonight she was responsible for two of the goals and for probably six or eight other opportunities. I can’t say enough about her; she’s really one of the best forwards in the country.”

Warner also set up the final goal for the Irish. Her shot from close range on the left side was deflected off of two Butler players before ending up in the net. After a discussion, the goal was credited to the team instead of Warner because of the deflections.

In addition to the offense, the Irish defense again dominated, continuing their streak of allowing two or fewer shots on goal in each of their last 10 games. After getting two early shots, the Bulldogs did not sniff the net in the last 75 minutes of action.

“With Tancredi and Christie Shaner and Vanessa Pruzinsky back there they’ve been very good,” said Waldrum. “Tancredi is just what she got this week [as the Big East Defensive Player of the Week], you could give her that any week and justify it. She’s playing on another level right now.”

“We have a lot of communication,” said Tancredi. “We’re all on the same page. We needed the freshmen to get the little things, but it comes down to confidence and communication.”