Womens Soccer: Shutout streak at 10 games

Andy Troeger | Tuesday, October 28, 2003

One year after missing the Big East Tournament due to a 3-3 record in the Mid-Atlantic Division, Notre Dame completed its sweep through the conference by beating Connecticut, Pittsburgh, Rutgers and Seton Hall over the fall break.

The Irish continued their dominating play, shutting out all four opponents in running their school record shutout streak to 10 games. The Irish did not allow a goal to a Big East opponent all season, outscoring their conference opponents 22-0. Heading into their final regular season game of the year, the Irish led the nation in goals-against average, with goalkeeper Erika Bohn riding a 989-minute shutout streak that dates back to a Sept. 21 game at Santa Clara.

The Irish opened the break by dominating No. 15 Connecticut 2-0 at Alumni Field. The Irish got their first goal from Katie Thorlakson on a corner kick sequence, with defenders Christie Shaner and Melissa Tancredi getting assists. Freshman Lizzie Reed, playing forward for the first time this season, provided the Irish with instant offense by registering the second goal. The Irish closed out the Huskies by not allowing a shot on goal in the final 60 minutes.

The Irish then went to Pittsburgh and won 1-0 on junior Mary Boland’s team leading 12th goal of the season, as Shaner again got the assist. The Irish outshot the Panthers 18-6, but missed the defensive presence of Tancredi who was held out of the game with a nagging leg injury.

For their efforts in those two games, Shaner was named Big East Defensive Player of the Week and Bohn was named Big East Goalkeeper of the Week.

The Irish got off to a strong start against Rutgers, notching two goals in the first four minutes of the contest. Thorlakson and Tancredi combined for three goals and an assist as the Irish won 3-0.

Thorlakson scored the first goal off of Amy Warner’s team leading 10th assist of the season. Thorlakson then lofted a corner kick into the box for Tancredi, who gave the Irish a 2-0 lead. Thorlakson then scored the game’s final goal later in the first half. The Irish held the Scarlet Knights to only one shot on goal in the game.

Warner became the eighth Irish player to score multiple goals in a game in a 2-0 win over Seton Hall. She registered her first goal only 90 seconds into the contest on a pass from freshman midfielder Jill Krivacek. Warner used her speed to get to the right side of the box and shot inside the right post for the 11th game-winning goal of her career. Warner then added the final margin via assists from Thorlakson and junior defender Gudrun Gunnarsdottir.

With the strong weekend, Warner now leads the Irish with 30 points on ten goals and ten assists, with her ten assists putting her in tie for fifth in the nation.

The Irish will conclude the regular season at Alumni Field against Michigan Wednesday, before hosting Miami in a Big East Tournament quarterfinal at Alumni Field. The winner of that game will head back to New Jersey for the rest of the Big East Tournament.