14 students exhibit art

Fourteen Saint Mary's art students were recently invited to display their artwork at the Box Factory for the Arts in St. Joseph, Mich.

"It is great public exposure for the students," said professor Julie Tourtillote who worked with Moreau Art Galleries director Krista Hoefle as faculty liaisons for the exhibition.

"The students were also involved in curating and installing the show," said Tourtillote.

The Box Factory is specifically designed as a venue for community artists to showcase their music, poetry, dance, drama and visual arts. It contains numerous art galleries in which artists can display their work.

The student exhibition, entitled "Saint Mary's All Stars," opened Friday in the Krasal Gallery and will run until Jan. 2. A reception was held Friday for the opening. All artists participating were in attendance in addition to families, friends, professors and St. Joseph community members.

The pieces on display were created by Saint Mary's senior art majors "in a variety of media, including painting, photography, ceramics, fibers and sculpture," said Candie Waterloo, a student who work is represented in the exhibition.

"Legoman and Gun" is an acrylic painting on canvas by Maria Fontenelle. "It presents a satirical look at the prevalence of guns and violence in America," Waterloo said.

Another student, Jennifer Trachy, has three paintings and a ceramics sculpture on display. One painting is a comparison between a blender and a palm pilot that contrasts the roles of women in the 1950s to 2003. Trachy said she simply enjoys the opportunity to display her work.

"It's a really good experience to have an exhibition outside the school," she said. "It is a nice venue and it's nice to see our work in a professional environment."

The positive experience has underclassmen looking forward to future opportunities.

"The students that are juniors this year are already hoping to participate next year," Tourtillote said.