Badin tops McGlinn

Joe Meixell | Tuesday, November 4, 2003

“Clockwork” was the word Badin captain Jenn Carter felt best described the Bullfrogs convincing 28-0 win over the McGlinn Shamrocks Sunday afternoon.

Beginning with the first offensive drive of the game, the Bullfrogs proved they deserve a life in the postseason. After a long sustained offensive drive from their own 15-yard line, the Bullfrogs scored their first touchdown of the game, courtesy of quarterback Steph Heath.

Before the end of the first quarter, the Bullfrogs scored another touchdown, this time via a 10-yard pass to receiver Megan Charlebois.

“Everything just clicked,” Carter said of the early offensive drives.

Carter contributed a touchdown towards the end of the first half after a 5-yard pass from Heath to put Badin ahead 20-0 at halftime.

The Shamrocks lacked substantial offensive drives for much of the first half, mostly due to several interceptions by Badin cornerback Laura Feeny and safety Laura Huarte.

McGlinn captain On-Kay Wong noted that much of the team seemed to have an off day.

“No one really had it all day,” Wong said. “We needed one big play to spark a comeback, and we just didn’t have that.”

The Shamrocks started the second half with renewed intensity and two 10-yard runs by running back Raquel Ferrer. However, the Bullfrogs responded to their efforts with Betsy Schroeder blocking a pass intended for Ferrer.

“Their defense really stepped up and we couldn’t really get a long drive together,” Wong said of the second half.

With 10 minutes remaining in the second half, Carter caught another touchdown pass from Heath to guarantee the victory.

The Bullfrogs were also successful in their attempt for the extra two points, with Charlebois catching a pass from Heath.

Badin’s defense maintained the 28-0 lead with a number of interceptions by Huarte and Feeny.

The Bullfrogs are set to meet Cavanaugh, who had a first round bye, this Sunday and anticipate a hard-fought battle.

“Everyone has to step up 100 percent for the Cavanaugh game,” Carter said. “It’s going to come down to individuals. It’s definitely going to be the hardest game we’ve played all season.”

Welsh Family 19, Breen Phillips 0

Welsh Family emerged with a convincing first round victory, dominating both sides of the ball on route to a 19-0 shutout of fourth-seeded Breen-Phillips.

A first half touchdown from Melissa Sands to Jamie McEldowney, the first of two connections on the afternoon, set the tempo for what would be a one-sided game controlled by Welsh Family who had a 6-0 lead at the half.

Welsh Family came out fired up in the second half, as Sands continued to pick apart the Breen-Phillips secondary with touchdown passes of 60 and 25 yards to McEldowney and Lauren Pierce.

Sands completed three second half passes for 90 yards, including the two touchdowns that proved to be too much for Breen-Phillips to overcome.

“Our receivers were awesome today,” Sands said. “The conditions were bad, but we managed to put it together.”

Welsh Family seemed to ignore the wet, slippery field, amassing over 130 yards against a very solid Breen-Phillips defense. Breen-Phillips had only lost one game this year before Sunday’s encounter with Welsh.

“Our offense was really working. We ran our routes like [Sands] wanted,” McEldowney said. “It was a team effort.”

The Welsh Family defense was impressive itself, looking overpowering as it shut out the Breen-Phillips offense. A Katie Powers second half interception virtually erased all hope of Breen-Phillips coming back from what was then a 13-0 Welsh lead.

Breen-Phillips looked anemic on offense, moving the ball inconsistently in the second half. The passing game couldn’t get going, and they were forced into quarterback scrambles and draws to move the ball.

On its final drive, Breen-Phillips failed to complete a pass.

The win advanced Welsh to the semi-finals against Lewis, the top team in women’s interhall in the regular season.

“We played really well,” coach Brian Adams said. “Lewis is a great team, too. We’ll have to figure them out this week at practice.”