Badin upsets Cavanaugh, earns trip to Stadium final

Joe Meixell | Tuesday, November 11, 2003

What appeared to be a disadvantage ended up a windfall for Badin Sunday in its 12-6 win over Cavanaugh to advance to the women’s interhall final in Notre Dame Stadium.

While the Bullfrogs had to play through the first round of the playoffs, the Chaos got to sit the week out because of their better record, and the bye may have hurt, as Cavanaugh looked very rusty through the first half.

Badin senior captain Jenn Carter fired up her team by quickly ending Cavanaugh’s second possession of the game. During Cavanaugh’s third possession, Carter had another interception, which she ran 30 yards for a touchdown to put the underdog Bullfrogs ahead early.

Badin sophomore Laura Huarte quickly got the ball back for her team with an interception. Soon after, Huarte received a pass thrown by junior quarterback Stephanie Heath to score a touchdown for Badin.

Cavanaugh finally scored its first touchdown with fewer than four minutes left in the game. The pass was thrown by sophomore quarterback Lisa Ruffer and caught by Jennifer Nokes.

Despite Badin’s scoreless second half, the Bullfrogs still played great defensively and even offensively at times. Badin’s quarterback Erin Zachry was 2-for-3 passing and had some impressive runs. Also during the second half, Carter blocked a pass when Cavanaugh was within 25 yards of scoring. Laura Feeney’s block further delayed Cavanaugh’s scoring drive.

Badin’s Erin Diminick made for a strong finish, catching a 40-yard pass thrown by Heath.

For much of the game, Badin looked like the better team.

“It’s unfortunate, but [Badin] played well,” Ruffer said.

Badin’s senior captains were particularly excited about their victory.

“This is my fourth year playing,” Badin senior captain Lindsay Wind said. “It’s a sweet victory. The seniors have been putting this together so well.”

“This was a great culmination of four years of hard work,” Zachry said.

Badin’s lack of individual stars but large number of solid players best explains this team’s victory.

“It was a total team effort,” Badin running back and wide receiver Lizzy Chappell said. “We worked so hard for this.”

Badin will play for the 2003 interhall women’s championship title in Notre Dame Stadium Sunday. Lewis, their competitor, has beaten them once before, but only by two points. Since Badin’s loss to Lewis, they have not lost a game.