Beware of Turtle Creek

I am a 2003 graduate of Notre Dame, and lived in Turtle Creek my senior year. At the time, Turtle Creek seemed to be an excellent choice: close to campus and an active social life. At the end of the year, my roommate, my father and I cleaned the apartment top to bottom, filled all nail holes and shampooed the living room carpet to ensure that we would be returned our security deposit. The apartment looked as clean as the day we moved in August.

Imagine my surprise when Turtle Creek sent us a letter informing us that they had replaced the entire living room carpet for $480. They said that the carpet in a high traffic area was stained and could not be cleaned. I asked the Turtle Creek management to show me a picture of the stain, a request I felt was reasonable for two reasons: (1) Turtle Creek was making a judgment on the cleanliness of the carpet when they stood to benefit from the replaced carpet at our expense and (2) they were charging my roommate $480 for its replacement versus a dollar or two for a picture.

Naturally, in its inspection, Turtle Creek did not take a picture, they just went ahead and replaced the carpet. After all, they were not going to pay for it. They stuck us with the bill. I feel like Turtle Creek has taken advantage of us. The management has admitted to me twice that they should have taken a picture.

I write this letter with the intent to warn the student population of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's to be very careful in their dealings with Turtle Creek. They cater to a highly mobile student population and know that many of their former residents will not live in South Bend past graduation. I live in Boston now, and it is difficult to deal with these situations while not in the South Bend area. Also, be careful not to walk in high traffic areas of your Turtle Creek apartment. Many of them need new carpet anyway, and you might end up giving Turtle Creek a $480 gift.

Jeff Baltruzak class of '03Nov. 11