Club sets for Asian Allure

The Asian-American Assoc-iation will present their cultural performance "Asian Allure" at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 22 at the Century Center.Under the direction of AAA President and Asian Allure programs director and stage Manager Ryan Leung, a variety of cultural groups on campus will present an assortment of acts celebrating Asian life."Asian Allure showcases Asian culture and beauty through showing different acts from different cultures, tied in with a fashion show [illustrating] Asian beauty and the beauty of diversity," Leung said.Troupe ND and the First Class Steppers will also perform on Saturday evening. "Our mission is to spread diversity on campus. You don't have to be Asian; you just have to love it," Leung said.The show will include fan dance and modern Korean pop music performed by the Korean Student Association, a traditional dance by the India/Pakistan Association, and performances from the Filipino-American Student Association, the Hawaii and Guam Student Association, the Japan Club and the Vietnamese Student Association.The Chinese Culture Society plans to perform, and the Asian International Society will retell a famous Chinese fairytale. "This is a new element to the show," Leung said. "We've never done storytelling. [The story is] told in a very enjoyable creative way and will be enjoyable to the audience." The show will be told in eight lines. Six are themed around the cities of Hong Kong, Saigon, Manila, Seoul, Bombay and Tokyo. The show begins in Los Angeles and ends in New York.Asian Allure has been going on since the mid-1990s, consistently selling out the Washington Hall theatre. This year, the group moved off-campus to the Century Center, which seats 718. Although Leung expressed concerns that moving the show off-campus would deter some potential audience members, the seven-dollar tickets sold out on Tuesday."The show is mainly geared to the Notre Dame community," said Leung, "but we welcome people from South Bend and Michiana. We have people from other colleges coming, such as the University of Michigan and Purdue."AAA secured the venue of the show and invited clubs around campus to perform said Leung."AAA is not exclusive to Asians," Leung said. "We welcome members of all ethnicities and backgrounds and have members who aren't Asian. We're having fun and spreading awareness of Asian culture. This has been our mission statement from the conception of the club."