Jones passes Gipper in record books

With his 79 yards in Saturday's loss, Irish running back Julius Jones passed George Gipp to move into sixth place all time in Notre Dame history in rushing yards. Jones currently has 2,399 yards in his career, with four games left on the Notre Dame schedule.

Gipp, who played from 1917 to 1920, finished his career with 2,341 yards in 28 games. He died from a throat infection in 1920 at the age of 25 and is famous for telling then coach Knute Rockne to one day tell his team to "win one for the Gipper," which the Irish did eight years later in a 12-6 victory over Army.

Next up for Jones on the career rushing list is Phil Carter, who is 10 yards ahead of Jones.

Pressed into action

Irish offensive lineman Dan Stevenson was injured near the beginning of the second period and backup Jamie Ryan was forced into an emergency substitution.

"I think maybe that first play out there I didn't do as well as I liked," Ryan said. "But I'm not one to make excuses.

"I think that practice is a big part of staying mentally and physically ready for a situation like this."

Ryan did not see any action in Notre Dame's three previous games.

Counting on the coaches

For the second time this year, Notre Dame had a substitution penalty following a time out.

Despite the extra time allowed to get the proper personnel onto the field, Irish coaches allowed one too many players out onto the field, costing Notre Dame five yards and changing what would have been third-and-goal from the Florida State 3-yard line into third-and-goal from the Florida State 8.

"The coaches didn't get the right personnel," Willingham said.

The mistake led to a field goal attempt by D.J. Fitzpatrick, which was blocked.

The other time the Irish had 12 men on the field in a critical time after a timeout was on fourth down late in the game against Michigan State.

But that infraction was irrelevant as the Spartans rushed for the first down and ran out the clock.

Frustrated fans

A season of disappointing football finally came to a head Saturday as the Irish fan base voiced its frustration, but not with boo's.

The Irish could only manage one first down in the first half, and after quarterback Brady Quinn connected with Maurice Stovall for a short gain for Notre Dame's second first down with 10:47 left in the third quarter, much of the sellout crowd rose to its feet and gave a loud sarcastic cheer and ovation.

The crowd began thinning out midway through the third quarter, and by the end of the game, few were left in the Stadium besides students and an excited Florida State contingent doing its signature tomahawk chop cheer.

Gameday captains

Captains for the Irish against the Seminoles were Jim Molinaro, Vontez Duff, Omar Jenkins and Courtney Watson.