-

-

St. Ed’s nets $2,500 in basketball shootout

Sheila Flynn | Monday, November 17, 2003

St. Edward’s Hall has collected over $2,500 from its Nov. 6 shootout fundraiser, and campus dormitories continue to donate money, assistant rector and event organizer Eric Nedell said.

“More dorms are going to be sending money over, so we should probably come in right under $3,000,” Nedell said.

The Shootout was Nedell’s brainchild; he conceived the event last year after being informed of his appointment to assistant rector of St. Edward’s Hall.

“I just thought about something that would bring all of the dorms together for an event like this, and I know that all the guys – in St. Ed’s, especially – are big basketball fans,” Nedell said. “So it was a good opportunity to do something good.”

For the fundraiser, St. Ed’s invited other dormitories and campus institutions to send a shooter for 25 free throw shots to the basketball courts behind the dorm. Eighteen shooters participated this year, including director of Residence Life and Housing Jeff Shoup, representing the Main Building. Competitors raise money on their own, and their final scores in the contest are derived by multiplying the amount of funds raised by the percentage of free throw shots made. St. Ed’s won its own event this year, and all collected money will be donated to the hall’s designated charity, South Bend’s Camp Milhouse.

“It’s a camp for physically and mentally handicapped children,” Nedell said.

He said the Hall Council voted for Camp Milhouse as its charity because the funds raised “would be more important for a smaller charity than a drop in the bucket for the Red Cross, or something like that.”

And St. Edward’s raised the most money for its own event, collecting $1,500 just from hall residents. Rector Father Tom Eckert gave the hall an additional motive for giving money; while organizers were counting money Wednesday at 9 p.m., they realized the hall had already raised $1,200. At that time, Eckert said that if residents could raise that sum to $1,500 by midnight, he would dye his hair blond, along with Nedell and third floor resident assistant Brent Griffith.

The residents complied, collecting $300 in three hours.

“I gave the last three dollars to my name,” said junior Mike Giampa, who also acted as the St. Ed’s shooter.

Resident assistant Mark Bellantoni also gave donations, spurred on by the rector’s pledge.

“I gave money because I wanted to help the kids, but partly because I could see my rector with blond hair, which is awesome,” Bellantoni said.

And when the money came in and the clock hit midnight, the now blond hall staff trio held true to their promise. And it was worth it, Father Eckert said, although he admitted his determination in reaching the goal wavered.

“For the kids, I hoped so,” he said. “For the charity, I hoped so. But for my hair, I had mixed feelings.”