Womens Basketball: Irish wrap exhibition season Sunday at home

Notre Dame will play in its final exhibition game of the season when its faces off against Team Concept Sunday at 1 p.m. at the Joyce Center.

The Irish are 19-1 in exhibition games since the 1993-94 season and won the first of their two preseason games Nov. 3 against Northwest Sports 85-65.

Sophomores Courtney LaVere and Megan Duffy led Notre Dame, which led by 10 points at halftime. LaVere scored 21 points on 10-for-14 shooting and added seven rebounds, while Duffy had 13 assists and 14 points. The Irish also got 20 points from junior Jacqueline Batteast, and classmate Katy Flecky had 12 points, seven rebounds, six assists and four steals.

Notre Dame started the game against Northwest sloppy but shot well to close out the half with a 45-35 lead.

Freshmen Crystal Erwin, Breona Gray and Susie Powers all got their first collegiate action and could see more minutes this weekend against Team Concept. Erwin, who Irish coach Muffet McGraw anticipates getting in foul trouble this season, picked up five fouls in 12 minutes and also added six points. Gray made her only shot, and Powers went 0-for-3 from the field.

Notre Dame moved the ball well in its first exhibition game and ran well in the open court. McGraw said doing both those things would be key this year for the Irish. The team also played solid defense, especially in the second half when they held Northwest Sports to a mere 29.7 percent shooting.

Notre Dame opens its season Nov. 14 against defending NIT Champion Auburn before facing the winner of Colorado or Old Dominion in Boulder, Colo.

The Irish will not have Teresa Borton or Jeneka Joyce for Sunday's contest because both are out with injuries. Borton had offseason heel surgery and is out until early December, while Joyce should begin practice soon and could play in roughly two weeks. She is out with an undisclosed injury.

Notre Dame's first home game is Nov. 21 against Valparaiso.