Womens Golf: Irish win their third tourney

The Notre Dame women's golf team recorded the second lowest score in school history at the Edwin Watt/Palmetto Intercollegiate on Monday and Tuesday at Kiawah Island, S.C., winning by 16-strokes.

This was the third tournament win of the fall season for the team, who opened the season with a record-breaking three-under-par 285.

"We did really well. We thought we had a pretty good chance going into it and we're just really proud of how we played," freshman Stacy Brown said. "We finished the fall on a good note."

The Irish will likely move up from their mid-40 ranking, as they finished ahead of several higher-ranked teams.

All five Notre Dame golfers finished in the top 18. Brown and sophomore Katie Brophy led the way, finishing tied for sixth place at 224.

Junior Karen Lotta broke out of a slump with her ninth place finish at 225, the best tournament score of her career. Freshman Noriko Nakazaki ended in 16th place with a 227 finish and senior Shannon Byrne finished tied for 18th with 229.

"Everybody contributed to the win. A lot of our teammates pulled through on the last round," Brown said.

The tournament marks the end of the finest fall season in school history and the team is looking toward the spring season, which opens in mid-March.

"We wish it wasn't over," coach Debby King said. "We'd like to keep our hot streak going."

Still, the Irish go into the off-season with renewed motivation and high expectations.

"We put in a lot of hard work this season and we can see all our hard work has paid off," Brown said. "Going into the season, our coach had some goals for us and our team did an excellent job.

"I'm really proud of how much we've accomplished throughout the season."

Brown sees tremendous potential in the future of the Notre Dame golf program.

"We need to keep setting our goals higher and higher."