Does pornography plague ND?

Jim Lee | Monday, December 8, 2003

What is the most harmful addiction facing men of the Notre Dame campus? Surprisingly it’s not alcohol or any narcotic; it’s pornography. Although pornography affects both men and women, this addiction is primarily one of males; yet it involves everyone. Pornography has long-lasting, damaging effects; it is a fantasy world and a gross misrepresentation of the body and sexuality. The human body is not the air-brushed, plastic surgery fantasy of XXX material. No one’s body looks like that, or will stay that way. Men, what happens when your wife has children and the curves you married begin to sag? Women, do you want to worry about your husband always looking at women with better bodies? This is why Ms. Griswold effectively compares pornography to slavery in her Dec. 3 letter; it reduces people to objects, mere role players to be used rather than people to be loved. Sex becomes selfish gratification rather than a gift of self, and its beauty is distorted into something dehumanizing.Surprisingly, many men are unaware of the subtle danger of pornography; they are unknowingly training themselves to get their sexual “fix,” becoming slaves to their sex drive. The result is a dysfunctional sex life and a distorted view of life and relationships. One becomes incapable of healthy relationships and a normal marriage. The disastrous effects are manifested later in life: divorce, multiple marriages, broken families and heartache for children, the extended family and the entire community. This is the reality of pornography; it is never an isolated act. It affects all of society, and this dirty secret will make itself known. Yet we are all responsible. Women, don’t reduce yourselves to objects for men to use by the way you dress and act. Men, even if women do, that gives you no right to abuse them. Here Mr. Duda in his letter makes a weak argument by saying “All have made the choice to be there.” This argument is a smoke screen that fails to address the actual problem of pornography and its effects. The “right to choose” says nothing about the choice itself. Kids choose to play with fire. Teenagers choose to use drugs. Their choices do not justify their actions. So the question remains: Do you want to have healthy relationships and a strong marriage and family in the future?If the answer is yes, then everyone must begin to say no to pornography right now.

Jim LeeseniorMorrissey ManorDec. 8