IU gathering not a pep rally

If students thought Indiana University was planning a pep rally in the north dome of the Joyce Center before the Notre Dame-Indiana basketball game Wednesday, they might want to think again.A Notre Dame official said Indiana fans will have a gathering in a partitioned section of the Joyce Center, but the gathering is similar to other pre-game events the University allows visiting alumni organizations to hold before basketball games.The only reason it is in the north dome of the Joyce Center is because another group had already booked the Monogram Room - the room on the second floor of the Joyce Center where visiting teams' fans normally congregate - for the evening."It's not an IU pep rally," Notre Dame sports information director Bernie Cafarelli said.Cafarelli added that Notre Dame typically gives any alumni club from any visiting school a place to hold a pre-game meeting, just as the Irish often receive a space to meet before games at other school's campuses.But Notre Dame will only allow up to 200 fans with tickets into the partioned area, said Cafarelli, and no Notre Dame students would be admitted. Several students, under the impression that Notre Dame was allowing an Indiana pep rally in the Joyce Center, were planning counter-rallies before the basketball game."We don't need anything to transpire from this," Cafarelli said.