Mass remembers Moore's life

Hundreds filled the Basilica to remember Dennis Moore at a Mass of Christian Burial Monday.

Moore, an associate vice president of public affairs at the University, died Wednesday at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York after a yearlong battle with prostate cancer. He was 55.

In his homily, Father Michael Baxter remembered Moore as a son of God who was devoted to his family, had an extremely strong faith and always served others.

Baxter recalled how Moore entered Notre Dame as a member of the Class of 1970, but returned to Chicago in 1968 to care for his sick mother. He spoke about the journey Moore embarked on with his wife, Doreen, and later with their three children Erin, Colleen and Brendan.

"[It] took them to Ireland several times, to the Upper Peninsula, to Chicago, lots of stops in between and eventually in 1988 to our good fortune to Notre Dame to serve in public relations," Baxter said.

Both Baxter and University President Father Edward Malloy praised Moore's service to the University in his role as the its principal spokesman. In his opening remarks, Malloy referred to Moore as the "voice of Notre Dame."

"[In his] job he was enormously discreet, always honest and never spoke uncharitably. He loved Notre Dame," Baxter said.

Baxter said that the strength of Moore's faith and his devotion to his family became even clearer as he dealt with cancer.

"For some people, the story of their life is a proclamation of the gospel. The shape of their life is good news," Baxter said.

University President emeritus Father Ted Hesburgh also spoke of Moore's commitment to Notre Dame when he gave his closing remarks.

"I think I can give voice to all the people in this church - all the people who don't get to say anything, except to say by their presence that Denny was one of our most wonderful, faithful comrades in this great work of Notre Dame," Hesburgh said.

"We're going to miss Denny. ... I have a feeling that Denny, like so many of the wonderful Notre Dame people who preceded him, is somehow still with us and will be with us with his spirit."

Internment at Cedar Grove Cemetery followed the Mass.