Saint Mary’s residence halls celebrate Christmas season

Justin Tardiff | Wednesday, December 10, 2003

At this time of year, Saint Mary’s students have two things on their minds – finals and Christmas – and residence halls are planning activities to help them prepare for both.Although residence halls encourage students to decorate for Christmas, students are not permitted to have any type of Christmas lights in their dorm rooms, Residence Life director Michelle Russell said.”Older buildings are not equipped to deal with the added amps of Christmas lights,” she said. Residence Life continues to talk about terminating this rule as changes are being made in the manufacturing of Christmas lights. Russell is aware of students’ fondness for lights, especially during this time of year, but she encourages students to find alternate ways to decorate until potential changes in the rule occur. Until students have the freedom to decorate however they want, they can enjoy the Christmas displays found in all of the residence halls. These displays are permitted to contain Christmas lights because they are carefully monitored. “We are all away from home and away from the holiday traditions we are used to. I think I would forget it is almost Christmas if the campus were not decorated for it,” said Holy Cross Hall Vice-President Allison Roche. Hall director Natissa Kultan decorated the lobby of Holy Cross over Thanksgiving Break. The Christmas season officially began last Thursday when they had their Christmas Kick-off party, where residence decorated ornaments for the hall tree. To spread cheer, many clubs and organizations planned holiday-themed events. The Senior Class Board invited students to the LeMans Hall lobby to make Christmas Crafts Monday. On Tuesday night, Saint Mary’s students were serenaded by the melodic voices of the Notre Dame Glee Club as they visited each residence hall. McCandless Hall and SGA will both be sponsoring free trips to Chicago this Saturday to give students a chance to Christmas shop and enjoy the holiday spirit of a large city. “The Glee Club was great, and there is a lot of Christmas spirit. But I think we need more decorations to make it feel more like home,” said freshman Megan McFadden. “We just want people to feel like it is Christmas Day everyday. It is a way for us to spread holiday cheer throughout our hall and the rest of campus. Plus, Christmas brings out the best in people, and the decorations remind people what time of year it is,” said Holy Cross Hall president Jessica Eaton.