Women's ice hockey splits games

"We had a great weekend and should have had two wins because we totally dominated the play in all six periods.  But were 1 and 1 on the weekend.  That's right, our first win."  With those words, captain Tori Blainey summed up both the frustration of a near sweep and the exhilaration of winning as Notre Dame's women's ice hockey club split a pair of games against Oakland U. this weekend.   The Irish dropped the Saturday contest 2-1 before rebounding Sunday for a 3-2 victory.On Friday, Oakland's Lauren Brick scored the lone goal in the first period with an assist from Melissa Orr.  Just 3:30 into the second period, the lead was extended to 2-0 on a goal from Kristin Czarnecki, assisted by Daniela Marrocco.  The Irish answered with a goal at 11:37 of the period as Julia LaPointe found the back of the net, with assists credited to Kate Abowd and Karrie Koski.  The Irish wasted several excellent scoring opportunities and were unable to reward an excellent performance by Becca Frigy making her debut in goal.Saturday found a resilient and determined Irish squad strike quickly as Annemarie Kennedy ripped the nets at 11:10 of the first period and Megan Mattia rifled home a shot just 22 seconds later for a two goal lead.  BowlingThe Notre Dame bowling club's men's squad competed this weekend in a pair of American Heartland Bowling Conference tournaments, finishing 14th on Saturday and held 13th on Sunday in a 19 team field before having to leave the competition early to return for classes.  On Saturday, the Irish posted a five man team average of 948 for six games, the best showing by the Irish in recent years.  Daniel Martin posted a 217 average, highlighted by a 265 game to lead the Irish.  Jim Talamao rolled a 244 game en route to a 202 average.  Van Koppersmith and captain Jason Raver earned high games of 226 and 217 while averaging 190 and 188 respectively.  Vance McClenton just missed a 200 game, with  a high score of 199 as he averaged 169.