Aerobics continue without Kay

Aerobics classes, up until this semester, were taught by Kay Chubirka. Known to the Saint Mary's community as simply "Kay." This semester, however, the highly-praised instructor has left Saint Mary's.

"I took Total Body Workout from her once and that is definitely what it was, a total body workout," said Eva Polizzi, "but I really liked it."

When word came that Chubirka was leaving Saint Mary's, many students were concerned that meant the end of the great classes they had attended faithfully but time has shown differently, they now say.

At the end of last semester Lynn Kachmarik opened these positions to students. Amy Deja, a junior at Saint Mary's, responded immediately.

She had recently become certified in pilates and thought the opportunity to teach at Saint Mary's sounded fun, she said. Deja emailed Kachmarik, who said she was excited by the idea of having a pilates course offered at the college.

Additional instructors have since been hired to teach other aerobics classes. They are free of charge for students if they wish to take them for academic credit. Courses taught by students however, are not offered for credit. This has not deterred other students' impressions of the courses though or dampened Deja's spirits.

"At first it seemed people were hesitant because Kay was not teaching, but now they seem to be more open to the changes," said Deja, "My afternoon class has been growing every time and everyone has a lot of enthusiasm."

Jen Stark, who is taking Deja's pilates course, seems confident that students are teaching the courses.

"I think it's fine. It's nice to know that someone as busy as us takes the time to teach us to work out," she said.