Belles lose 62-44 at Albion

Bobby Griffin | Thursday, January 29, 2004

Saint Mary’s fell short in their attempt to win their second straight game for the first time in over a month, as they lost 62-44 to Albion Wednesday night.In a game that was supposed to be played on Tuesday but was cancelled due to the inclement weather, Saint Mary’s was run out of the gym in a game the Belles desperately needed to win. Albion jumped out to a 31-25 lead at the half, but the difference came early in the second half. The Britons came out strong and outscored the Belles 31-19 en route to their 18-point victory.While only shooting 38 percent from the floor, Albion outrebounded the Belles 45 to 30, and had 12 steals on the defensive end. Despite the disappointing loss, the Saint Mary’s bench made key contributions. Anne Hogan lead the Belles with 10 points on 3 of 8 shooting and Bridget Boyce added nine points on 4-of-9 shooting. Bridget Lipke contribued six points on 2-3 shooting, and had three rebounds and two assists. Coming off her biggest game of the season, in which she scored 26 points and grabbed 10 rebounds, Emily Creachbaum struggled in the loss against Albion. She was held to four points on 2-of-8 shooting and only hauled in three rebounds.Defensively, the Belles had trouble handling the Albion backcourt of Jaime Fornetti, Vanessa Thompson, and Jocelyn Zappala. Fornetti had 16 points and nine rebounds, while Zappala had 13 points, six rebounds, and six assists. Thompson added 11 points on 4 of 10 shooting.”Albion’s guards played really well,” Belles coach Suzanne Bellina said. “Their outside shooting was pretty good in the second half.”Despite the offensive explosion from Fornetti, Thompson, and Zappala, the Belles successfully defended Albion’s leading scorer, Sarah Caskey. Caskey was held to 5 points on 2-of-4 shooting.The Belles go into this weekend with a chance to regroup. They do not play any games this weekend, and it should give them a chance to put this loss behind them and prepare for next week’s opponents.The loss Wednesday night moved the Belles to 5-13 overall and 0-7 in the MIAA. Their first league win could come on Monday. “We play Olivet Monday, which is a huge game,” said Bellina.The week doesn’t get any easier for the Belles after Olivet. Wednesday they host Calvin and Saturday they visit Hope. Both teams have already given the Belles trouble already this season.