-

-

Former business school dean dies

Michaels, Amanda | Wednesday, January 28, 2004

James Culliton, the former dean of Notre Dame’s business school, died Jan. 23 from a heart-related illness at the Moorings of Arlington Heights retirement community. He was 92.Culliton joined the faculty of the College of Commerce – soon to be called the College of Business Administration – in 1951 and held the position of dean from 1955 to 1962. During his tenure, he revolutionized the College, starting a small, experimental program called the Program for Administrators that combined a mix of liberal, business and professional work with discussion-oriented classes, which would become the college’s educational foundation, author Kerry Temple said in his book O’Hara’s Heirs: Business Education at Notre Dame, 1921-1991.After earning a master’s and a doctorate from Harvard Business School, Culliton taught at both Boston College and Harvard before coming to Notre Dame. Considered to be one of the elite minds of the time, he was appointed to the U.S. tariff commission by President John F. Kennedy, and continued to serve under President Lyndon Johnson after Kennedy’s assassination. “My father was a very intelligent but gentle person,” Stephen Culliton, a DuPage County judge and 1964 Notre Dame alum, told the Daily Herald. “One day, he literally received a call from the White House to meet Kennedy. I thought it was a big deal, but my dad isn’t easily overwhelmed by anyone.”In 1968, Culliton and his family moved to the Philippines so he could become the first president of the Asian Institute of Management, an academic venture among the Ateneo de Manila University, De La Salle College, the Harvard Business School and the Ford Foundation. After retiring, Culliton dedicated his time to help individuals open their own businesses by volunteering for SCORE, a national small business counseling organization, reported the Daily Herald.Culliton, whose wife of 48 years died in 1985, is survived by sons William (a 1960 alumnus), Edward (a 1962 alumnus), Steve (a 1964 alumnus) and Richard, 13 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren.